Friday, August 17, 2012

I didn't know Sky well, but some of my best friends were very close with him. I know he was always smiling, and I know he was a good listener, and I know he was a lot of fun. I know that he hung out in the same lunch area that we did, and I know that at least a couple of my friends had big crushes on him in high school. I also know he was killed in the most senseless way while serving his country, and I know that I don't understand everything about why we're in Afghanistan, but I still think we've sacrificed enough people's boyfriends, girlfriends, husbands, wives, partners, brothers, sisters, parents, friends, and high-school crushes. I also know that these moments can really bring out a person's character, including those who will use a friend's death to draw attention to their own suffering every three minutes on Facebook. I know that he meant so much to so many people, and it makes me sad that anyone would fail to realize that behaving in this way distracts from his memory. 

I'm pissed that we're still over there, and I'm pissed that human beings are ultimately self-centered, even (especially) in the worst of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment