Well, I can't match that, especially without dairy. But with the magic of a little soy milk and fake cheese (and a LOT of seasoning) I think I had a decent show. I used a hybrid of a Skinny Bitch recipe and one I found online, and messed around with the spiciness to my own liking (because come on, of course I was the only one in my house who would eat it- totally unfair judgement on veganosity, beeteedoubleyou. But more for me.)
Anyway, want a recipe? Okay:
Ingredients-
16oz package of elbow macaroni or pasta of choice (I actually used whole wheat rotini)
3 cups shredded fake cheese (I'm told Daiya is amazing, but all I had was the Trader Joe's brand, which I think is pretty tasty, plus it actually MELTS)
3 tablespoons vegan butter (margarine works just fine for this)
3 tablespoons flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
2 to 2 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Shake or two of salt
Paprika, other spices
Enough panko bread crumbs to liberally cover (I just used basic Trader Joe's variety)
16oz package of elbow macaroni or pasta of choice (I actually used whole wheat rotini)
3 cups shredded fake cheese (I'm told Daiya is amazing, but all I had was the Trader Joe's brand, which I think is pretty tasty, plus it actually MELTS)
3 tablespoons vegan butter (margarine works just fine for this)
3 tablespoons flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)
2 to 2 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Shake or two of salt
Paprika, other spices
Enough panko bread crumbs to liberally cover (I just used basic Trader Joe's variety)
Directions-
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook pasta about 5 minutes until it’s just tender. Don’t cook all the way or it will fall apart when you bake it.
3. Drain pasta and transfer to greased baking dish. I packed it all into a smaller 8×10 dish so it would set up nice and thick. I also used unrefined coconut oil to grease it, mainly because I'm lazy and it melts pretty quickly. Plus I had already stolen enough of my roommate's margarine for a cause she does NOT support
4. Mix in about 2/3’s of the cheese into the pasta and set aside.
5. In a small pot melt the butter. Add the salt & pepper, then whisk in the flour until combined. Stir in the milk. Keep stirring until it starts to boil, then keep stirring for about another minute until it thickens up.
6. Pour the milk mixture into the pasta and mix everything well. Top with the remaining cheese. Cover everything with a generous layer of breadcrumbs. Give the whole thing a light dusting of paprika. At this point I really had a great time with the seasonings- red curry powder, rosemary, chili flakes...mmm mmm mmm
7. Pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and top is starting to brown.
2. Cook pasta about 5 minutes until it’s just tender. Don’t cook all the way or it will fall apart when you bake it.
3. Drain pasta and transfer to greased baking dish. I packed it all into a smaller 8×10 dish so it would set up nice and thick. I also used unrefined coconut oil to grease it, mainly because I'm lazy and it melts pretty quickly. Plus I had already stolen enough of my roommate's margarine for a cause she does NOT support
4. Mix in about 2/3’s of the cheese into the pasta and set aside.
5. In a small pot melt the butter. Add the salt & pepper, then whisk in the flour until combined. Stir in the milk. Keep stirring until it starts to boil, then keep stirring for about another minute until it thickens up.
6. Pour the milk mixture into the pasta and mix everything well. Top with the remaining cheese. Cover everything with a generous layer of breadcrumbs. Give the whole thing a light dusting of paprika. At this point I really had a great time with the seasonings- red curry powder, rosemary, chili flakes...mmm mmm mmm
7. Pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until the cheese is bubbling and top is starting to brown.
Serving suggestion- eat the whole thing straight out of the casserole dish while watching Gangland on the History Channel
No comments:
Post a Comment