Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Well, hello there, THE PAST.
How entirely strange to be having this conversation with you. Nice, but strange.
So much has happened over the past five years, and I have no idea where to begin. I don't feel like you would relate to much of it anyway, and my most exciting adventures are certainly not things you need to hear about.
But I'm glad it's friendly. I've never held any ill will toward you (at least not after the first three...five months or so.) It's actually really nice to be able to look back fondly on an old relationship for a change.
I don't miss myself during that time at all. I feel like I was an entirely different human being then. I met you in the fourth grade. We started dating in high school. I mean, I still ate poultry then for God's sake. Little nineteen-year-old me actually thought I was going to marry you. But some very large differences in opinion came to a head and I spent months crying, ran a marathon in part to have something constructive to do with myself, and eventually moved off to the city and went to college and now we live in two entirely different worlds.
And maybe we weren't quite adults then, but yes, you were my first big heartbreak. It was also the first time I really had to pick myself back up and start all over again. I had one thing planned and ended up accidentally living something better.
You stand as a reminder of what I am capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment