Monday, April 4, 2011

I should have known.
Last week I had one of the best days of my teaching career thus far.
Today was easily one of the worst.

And that's the thing with teenagers- you never know when they're going to hit you. Which I guess I should find comforting, as their complete and utter disregard for other people can't possibly be personal if they just walk into the classroom ready to fight every few days.

But instead, it just leaves me disappointed.
I have never talked to anyone the way some of these kids talk to me on a regular basis. Nor has anyone talked this way to me, prior to taking this job. And I know it comes with the territory, but really, SHOULD it? No. It's unacceptable, and it's bullshit that I'm expected to be a punching bag for seven and a half hours every day. Attitudes are one thing. Being cursed out for simply doing my job is really quite another and I've actually lost track of how many times that's happened.

And the scary thing is, they just plain don't realize how wrong it is to talk to people like that. That's obviously standard for them, and being reprimanded is a non-issue to them. Guilt doesn't work, I've finally realized. How do you shame a person whose moral compass is already severely screwed up? These kids don't need to be told to have manners and patience and common sense and human decency. They need to SEE it. They don't need lectures; they need unconditional support and consistency. They need an adult role model who can show them how to handle conflict maturely and rationally, without letting their emotions get the better of them. Who can punish the behavior while still nurturing the child.

But some days, it's REALLY hard to be that person.

No comments:

Post a Comment