They have so many questions for me. I know it's normal for kids to be curious about their teachers, and especially new ones, but I feel that I spend so much of my time either answering or avoiding answering their questions. I wonder if they're just trying to distract me (a little), or if it's because I'm so young (a little.)
Take this conversation:
"How old are you?"
"Older than you."
"Like 19?"
"Come on, I couldn't be your teacher if I was 19."
"Okay, so 25?"
(horrified) "NO!"
"You're 24!"
(startled) "Um, no, I'm not 24....hey look, a Venn diagram...."
"You're 24! She's 24, guys!"
or this one:
"Is your hair naturally that color?"
"What? Yes. Did you finish your current event?"
"Do you straighten your hair? How long have you been growing it for?"
"Yeah, we're getting off-topic here."
"My cousin straightens her hair. She looks a lot like you. You should wear your hair down more."
"Okay, people! We've discussed the mosque at Ground Zero and polled our class about their opinions on the the location. You all have your copy of the Bill of Rights, yes? Can anyone tell me what amendment a person who is debating the topic might refer to?"
*Several hands shoot up. I am encouraged*
"Yes, A?"
"Do you have your nose pierced?"
No comments:
Post a Comment